Saturday, July 14, 2018

How to make a Summer Basket out of Wood

I believe this basket turned out really well and it really isn't that hard to create, using your Proxxon ToolsPlaid Mod Podge Glossy, Plaid Paints and the Kapro Measure Mate.  You too can make this with just a little effort. Give it a try and see!

Supplies Needed for this Project:

Dowel Rod (2 sizes)
Piece of 1 X 8 wood
Birch Panel
White Gesso
Paint brushes
Decorative Napkins
Small nails
Nail gun (you can use nails and a hammer too)
Xacto knife



To start with you need to cut out all your pieces of wood.
I used my Kapro Measure Mate to do all the measuring that I needed done. I used my Proxxon Table Saw cut a piece off of my 1 X 8 that was 11 1/2 inches long.
I used my band saw to cut the 7/8 inch dowel, 9 1/2 inches long for the handle and then 2 pieces of the  1/4 inch dowel, 1 3/4 inches long to hold the handle.

Using your Proxxon Table Saw and your Proxxon Band Saw  from a 1/4 inch thick birch panel cut the following: 2 pieces 12 inches X 5 inches with a 1 inch rise from each end along the top edge for the sides and 2 pieces 7 1/4 inches X 5 inches for the ends. Drill a 7/8 inch hole in the center of both of the side pieces and 1 1/2 inches from the top on the center line. Drill a 1/4 inch hole, 3/4 of an inch from each end of the 7/8 inch dowel to hold the 7/8 inch dowel handle in place.

Take your Proxxon Delta Sander and sand any rough edges on the cut pieces on the ends and also on the wood itself so that you aren't trying to paint on anything rough. Use your Proxxon Rotary Tool to smooth out the holes you drilled into the side pieces for your dowel. I gessoed all of the pieces white before I did any painting as it makes the paint stick better and be smoother. I then painted my basket bottom on both sides and the inside other four pieces of the basket itself with Plaid Indian Red Paint. I separated the napkins which I chose for this project and applied them to the outside of the wood pieces with Plaid Mod Podge, After the napkins were dry I trimmed off any excess napkin with an xacto knife and I painted my dowel pieces with the Plaid Moon Yellow Paint. I nailed all of the pieces together and then painted the top outside edges of the basket with the Plaid Moon Yellow Paint. I inserted the 7/8 dowel through the holes in the basket and put the 1/4 inch dowels through the holes in each end. I used my Plaid Paints to touch up any area that needed it.

Completed basket! Doesn't it look great? I loved the way that it turned out and I used several of the Proxxon tools, the Kapro Measure Mate and Plaid Mod Podge and Paints. You can make a similar basket and either paint something on it or use napkins like I did to make it your own. Check out all of the fine tiny tools with big character at: Proxxon Tools , Kapro Products and also the Plaid Products that were used in this project. A big thanks to all three of these companies for supplying the products that we use in our projects. Please leave me a comment below as I do read all of them and appreciate them very much.

Barbara

6 comments:

Carol Wulf said...

Wow, what a pretty box. Neat project! I'm going to be on the lookout for pretty napkins now.

Unknown said...

What a cute basket to put your flower garden tools in!

Unknown said...

Cute!

Misty said...

What a lovely basket. Great job, and love the
subject matter. As always your instructions are
fantastic. Your sunflowers were just right
for this summer, Lovely. Thumbs up!!

Barbara Moore said...

Thanks everyone for the comments!

Unknown said...

I can think of so many uses for this. I may have to calculate how much I need to put them in every room of the house!! So handy to keep things!!!