Friday, June 21, 2019

How to build a tape organizer for your shop

Hi everyone. It's Carol here and I'm back in my organizing frame of mind and thought I would share with you how to build a tape organizer for your shop or studio.   It's time to wrestle up all the various rolls of tape that seem to be all over the place, except when you need them, and coral them into one orderly spot.   This is an easy project and can be built in a couple of hours.




Equipment and Supplies

1/2"  OR   3/4" pine board, or plywood
1" x 12" dowel
1 old or new hacksaw blade
6- 1 1/2" screws
screwdriver
wood glue
Let's get started.   The first thing to do is to cut your wood to size.  
I made you a cutting diagram below.


  ^I forgot on my diagram (the pieces that will fit the slot) on the dowel are 1/2"  x 1/2"  ^


I used the Proxxon mini bandsaw to do my cutting.  I love this little but powerful workhorse.  

In the picture below I am cutting the sides off my 1" dowel.   It is going to fit into the slots I cut on my "sides".   I make two parallel cuts in the sides then cut them from the side to make a rectangle that is 1/2" deep and 1/2" long.
                                                                              Proxxon mini bandsaw


Next I glue my sides to my bottom and let dry.  



When it is good and dry, I flip it over and using my Proxxon professional rotary tool I put pilot holes into the bottom.  I am going to add screws to secure the sides to the bottom..  I want my tape holder sturdy.
Everything gets a good sanding from my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.
  It's shape makes getting into corners a breeze.

.

I painted my front piece with Plaid's yellow paint before attaching it to the front piece with 2 screws.
 **  Make sure the sharp side is mounted so that it is about 1/8" to 1/4"  higher than the top edge and the teeth are pointing up .  **


Oh I added some flowers to make pretty.   Plaid paints make everything pretty!


Next I threaded my various tape rolls onto the dowel and placed the dowel into the slots and...wow, look 👀 now I am organized.  

And, the cutter works too. No need to look for the scissors!

 I just had to add some color to the sides too.   Thank you Plaid ! for making me dangerous with a paintbrush. 


I set mine on a shelf.  This can also be mounted to a wall....but I just don't have an inch of wall space.




I had fun with this project and I am another step closer to having an organized shop.  At least now I don't have to search for a specific tape or scissors to cut it.     Call me Happy.  😃

Thanks for visiting.    
Also thanks to Proxxon and Plaid. Your product are just amazing!
   Catch ya next time.   Carol


2 comments:

Barbara Moore said...

I really need one of these Carol! Great project and one I need to do.

Misty Orlove said...

Having so many different kinds of tape
and now adding garden tape this could
not come out at a better time. Love it.
Keep the useful products coming.
Thank you.