Wednesday, June 5, 2019

How To Make a Father's Day Beer Mug

Hi everyone, Steph Ackerman here to show you how to create a fun Beer Mug sign for Dad.  Since Father's Day is just around the corner, let me show you how I created this beer mug with my Proxxon tools.



I started by freehand drawing a beer mug on a scrap piece of wood.


Using both the Micro Bandsaw and the Scroll Saw, I cut the design.  I found that using the Micro Bandsaw to cut with the grain of the wood made this project proceed faster.  The Scroll Saw was best at cutting around the handle and the curved edges as the blade is more pliable.


Once the mug was cut out, I used the Disc Sander, which quickly sanded the large areas.


Then I reached for the Delta Sander to sand the smaller areas and inside edges.


Using Plaid Paints, I first painted the mug a light beige.  Then to create the beer foam, I used a pallet knife with Plaid FolkArtⓇ Coastal Texture Paint.  Since I used a thick coat, I allowed it to dry overnight before proceeding.  When the paint dried, I had this 3 dimensional "foam" atop my mug.


I wanted a few stripes across the bottom so I placed painters tape across the bottom and used Plaid FolkArtⓇ Brushed Metallic paint for definition.


I used the same Plaid metallic paint on the gears and added stickers to spell Dad, placing the letters along the top line.


Do you think Dad will love it?

Thanks for stopping by.



No comments: