Thursday, February 18, 2021

Table top picture holders

 OMG I got the best idea for all you travelling artists.  So simple, convenient, beautiful, and PORTABLE.   This is a table top picture holder.   Check it out!  Using Proxxon tools it takes about 10, ok...20 minutes to make.


Easels are so cumbersome when travelling, but pictures won't stand up by themselves.  I got a solution and when travelling you can throw a dozen of these in a box and I promise they won't break

Supplies and equipment needed.

Scrap lumber  1/2' to 3/8" ;thickness works well  12-14" long  2" wide

Proxxon mini bandsaw  or Proxxon mini scroll saw

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander      

Finish of your choice

Here is a template to go by.  This pretty much holds most of my framed pictures, however, if you have a larger picture you can adjust the height at the curve and the size of the opening to pretty much accommodate any size.   Really big pictures may need added length.  


After choosing some appropriate lumber, I transferred my pattern onto the wood then I used the Proxxon Mini bandsaw    to cut out my pieces.   



Next, I used the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to smooth everything.   I used the sander to round over the edges a little to give it a finished look.   I love this little sander.   I used the 80 grit coarse paper to start.  


After I applied a finish, I sanded it lightly using 240 grit and applied another coat of finish.   It  is really  smooth and looks great.   What I find really neat about this sander is the hook and loop system of attaching the sand paper.  I can take the coarse paper off and put on some fine paper, but then I can \put the coarse back on and don't have to waste any when I need to change grit.

 There it is all done and doing it's job.   I am making a bunch of these for my art class.

Thanks for visiting.   Thank you Proxxon for making the tools that make making fun,
Till next time, stay safe   Carol




2 comments:

Misty said...


You know I like most
everything you do a lot.
I am crazy about this one.
Headed for a show, often we
have to take two cars.
Between tables, standard's
to hang paintings on and
all of the gourds and display
for then space is really hard
to come by.
This is a wonderful solution.
Thank you for this blog love it!!!!

Nell said...

Great idea! Looks like it works great and looks so good !