Monday, November 8, 2021

How To Build A Double Breadbox

 




Hi everyone! Today I wanted to show you a breadbox I built for my kitchen. I decided to make a double one because I need the extra room to stash a lot of stuff in it. Because the price of wood has gone up I wanted to just use scrap pine that I had laying around. When I build things like this I hardly ever make a pattern. I did draw something for the sides and center divider but the rest just depended on what wood I had on hand. I did vinegar grain painting on the two lids and the top. Follow along with me and you can see how I made it :-)

Supplies:
  Scrap pine boards
  Hinges (4)
  Wood Glue
  Brad Nailer and Brads
  Vinegar Paint and Varnish 

     
First I determined the size I wanted the box to be and drew a pattern for the side pieces.



Transfer pattern to pine and cut using the Proxxon Mini Band Saw. 




Using the Proxxon Table Saw I cut a board for the front face after I figured how long I wanted the piece to be.



Next I glued and nailed the to sides on the front.





Now I needed to cut the center divider so I altered my side pattern cutting a notch in the front and attached it with glue and brads.



.Before I went any further I wanted to cut out my lids. I determined the size that both lids needed to be and figured out the angle each had to be and cut to fit up to the base. I set my band saw at the angle and cut the long edge of the lids.




Next I measured and cut the upper front face using the band saw. I sanded the edges using the Proxxon Disc Sander and attached it with glue and brads,




I measured and cut a top piece and two back pieces and sanded on the disc sander.  Attached with glue and brads.






I then dry fit the lids and attached the hinges.



I removed the lids and hardware and sanded lightly. Next I prepared to paint. The lids and top board I did a faux graining technique using vinegar paint. Let those dry the applied a varnish.
 


The base and the inside I painted with Plaid Inspirations Chalk Paint. Color was called Ink. After dry I brushed on Plaid Inspirations Wax in Clear.




Here it is sitting on the countertop in my kitchen. I'll have it filled up in no time. Thanks for following along.... Colleen


No comments: