Thursday, November 4, 2021

Small cedar Christmas tree decor

 Let's see, It is November now and you know what that means.... time to get started on Christmas.  Actually we should have got started earlier, but now, better late than sorry.  Today let's do a little family Christmas tree.  I have some 1/4" cedar and that should work.   Also, I am still fasinated by my new Proxxon egraving set so maybe we can find something to do with that.  

 

Ready?   Let's get going here

Equipment and supplies

Scrap cedar wood, Im going little so I picked a piece with 1/4" thickness.  (You can make this as big or as small as you like---I think a big one would be great!)

Proxxon mini scroll saw

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander  and / or Proxxon cordless mini belt sander.  (either or both)

Proxxon mini drill press with small drill bit

Sealer of your choice

Small pieces of thin bendable wire

Plaid paints if you want  -optional-  

!st thing to do is draw your pattern.  If you are brave you can draw it on your  piece of wood.   A little less brave and you should draw it on paper, then transfer it to your wood pieces.  This is going to be 3D so mark a line half way up the tree trunk on one, and on the other mark a line from the top to the middle of the tree.  This should be the same thickness as your piece of wood.  In our case the thickness is 1/4"  The 2  flat "trees" will slide together creating a 3D tree that will stand.  


Cut the trees out using the Proxxon mini scroll saw.

Sand them very smooth with the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and or the Proxxon cordless mini belt sander.  ↓↓  I started with 80 grit and then went to 120 grit sandpaper.  I then sprayed them with krylon crystal clear to seal them and make them shiny.   Next slip them together .



  
  Part 2

Using the Proxxon mini scroll saw, cut out some small rectangles from the leftover scraps of cedar wood.  
  



I used the Proxxon engraving device to engrave my family members names on the little wood pieces  The set comes with clear instructions on how to set it up.  I love it.  I kept my wood pieces a little long and could fit several names on each one, then cut them apart later.

Using the Proxxon mini drill press I put small holes in the ends of the branches of the Christmas trees and also in the top left corner of my little name tags.  I slipped a small wire through the hole in the name tag and bent it into a hook I could use to hang it on the tree.  Look below.  A little plaid paint around the edges for contrast. 

For some crazy reason people feel so special when they see their name on something like this.   Well if it makes them happy... It makes me happy too! 
Almost forgot.   I added a star.   Now you  can paint or whatever you like with your new decor.   Have fun!

That was fun, I highly reccomend making some of your very own Christmas decor.Every year when you bring it out you will remember how much fun you had making it.  


Thanks for visiting!    Carol W





 



1 comment:

Misty said...

I really like this it can
be sized as to fit the
family size, great idea.
Sorry it took me so long to
get here.
Keep up with novel items.