Thursday, December 30, 2021

How To Build A Chippendale Mirror

 






Hi everyone.  I've been wanting to build a Chippendale mirror for my dining room.  I've had an old beveled mirror in my basement for years.  I figured now would be the time to finally use it.  Follow along with me and I'll show you how I made it :-) .


SUPPLIES:

            Proxxon 2 speed scroll saw DS-460

            Proxxon Belt Sander BS/A

            Mirror    

            Wood Frame

             1/2" Birch Plywood

             Base paint and 1" paint brush

             Vinegar Paint

              Polyurethane



  My first problem was finding a frame to fit the mirror.  I went to Michaels craft store and was able to purchase a wood frame to fit the mirror.  Next I drew out the pattern for the pieces that would be attached to the frame.





Next taking the pattern pieces I then transferred them to scrap 1/2" birch plywood.

  


Using the Proxxon 2 speed scroll saw I cut out all 6 pieces.





I laid Everything in the floor to see how they fit.  The scroll saw does such a great job that very little sanding was necessary, but I did use the Proxxon Belt sander around some of the edges.



Next I painted all the pieces with a yellow base paint and let dry.




I then grain painted all the pieces using vinegar paint. Let dry.






After all the pieces were dry, I sprayed on a matt finish polyurethane.  Each piece I then glued and nailed to the frame.  This is not how a real Chippendale frame would be constructed but it's an easy way to get the same look.


Lastly I inserted the mirror into the frame and attached eye screws and picture wire to hang it.  I hope you enjoyed my project.  See you all next month..... Colleen




No comments: