Thursday, December 2, 2021

How to make a whistle

 Hope you all had a great Thanksgiving.   Ours was quiet and I enjoyed it.   Today I have a quick and easy project, but one the kids will love.   Take it on a hike... just in case you get lost or find yourself in trouble.  I enjoy making things with and for kids.  Call me a big kid, and I won't argue the fact.  🐐


Step 1-   I started with a piece of hardwood measuring 1" x 1" x 4"  (A pen blank for woodturning is just about the right size)   If I had needed to cut it I would have used Proxxon's mini table saw.

Step 2-  Using the Proxxon vise clamp to hold my wood piece vertical I drilled a 3/8 inch hole down the center, stopping 1" short of the end.

Step 3- Using the Proxxon mini band saw I made a 90 degree cut approx 1 inch down from the hole side of the wood just deep enough to meet the hole we made in step 2.

Step 3.  Starting approx 3/4" down from the 90 degree cut, I used the Proxxon mini band saw to make a cut at about 45 degrees that met up with the 90 degree cut. to take a wedge out of the top of the soon to be whistle.  




                              hope you can follow my drawing 🠞🠞🠞🠞🠞🠞🠞


Step 4.Take a 3" piece of 3/8" dowel and cut the top so that it has a flat top.  Insert it into the hole in the whistle.  Moving it in and out find the sweet spot.  You will know when you find it because it will whistle loud and clear.  Hold it in place and drop a couple drops of super glue around the dowel. where it meets the wood.  Let it dry then cut it flush with the end of the whistle.  The whistle is now complete.       

But wait... there is more.  Just for fun lets doll it up a bit.    I am still learning my new Proxxon engraving device, so I set it up and engraved on the little whistle.

Then I took it over the Proxxon disc sander and rounded all my edges.

Then more smoothing with the OZI/E delta sander

And a coating of butcher block, which is non toxic and a key ring.   Now give it to the
 boy or girl scout of your choice.


Again, this was easier to make that to describe.  Give it a shot, it won't take but about an hour.

Thanks for visiting.   Thanks Proxxon, Your tools are the best!

Catch you next time.   Carol







1 comment:

Misty said...

The little boy next door will
love this.
Nice toy to drive mom nuts
ROTFLMBO.