Monday, March 28, 2022

How To Build A Clock Case

 




Hi everyone!  Today I'm going to show you how I built a simple clock case for a cross stitch piece I stitched over 30 years ago. The piece has been in my cedar chest, and I've often thought about finishing it. Follow along with me and I'll show you how I did it.


Supplies:

     1" scrap pine boards
     Filigree Trim Molding (pine)
     Wood Glue
     Brad Nailer and Brads
     Plaid Paint  (black)
     Plaid Inspirations Clear Wax
     Small piece of window glass  (cut to fit)


First I measured my original piece of cross stitch soi could determine how large the opening for the face needed to be.  I made a sort of template from posterboard that I could build the frame around. Using the Proxxon Table Saw I cut my pieces accordingly from the template.  I cut two side pieces and a top and bottom face frame pieces. After I dry fit the top and bottom pieces, I removed them and using the table saw cut notches in them for the glass.  I also cut a slot in the two side pieces for the glass to slide in.






I glued and nailed the two side pieces to the bottom. I then slid in the glass and glued and nailed in the top piece.





I had to cut two spacers for the top and bottom to hold the clock hands away from the glass.



Next I cut a thin piece of scrap wood a little smaller than the size of the opening, to accommodate the fabric being folded over and to the back.  I dry fit the stitched piece in the frame.




Next, using the Proxxon table Saw,  I cut a top and bottom for the case. I glued and nailed them together with the sides. I went over some of the edges with the Proxxon belt sander.




Using the Proxxon Table Saw I cut a back for the case.  It was then I realized I had nothing to screw it into so again I cut two spacers and glued them in.



Lastly using the table Saw and the Micro Band Saw I cut some tiny filigree molding to go on the top and bottom of the case, and a rounded piece for the top.  Once each piece was cut, I glued them on.





With a little extra sanding, it's ready to paint and wax,  I used Plaid products.





After everything was dried, I inserted the stitched piece with the clockworks attached.




Here's my finished piece alongside a larger clock I made years ago.  Hope you enjoyed following along with my project!  
Colleen  :-)











     
    

No comments: