Thursday, October 6, 2022

How to make a spice drawer organizer

 Hi everyone.  I have another organizational project for you today.   And I will tell you why I chose this one.   I am very tired of rooting through the spice jars that are up in the cabinet all crammed in together.  I am tired of them all falling out when I reach for one in the back, and..... well, you get my drift.   Let's fix this.   Today I am going to show you how easy it is to turn a kitchen drawer into a well-organized spice rack of sorts.  Check it out.  👀 This drawer holds 40 spice jars, and I can see the labels too.


Equipment and supplies

Proxxon mini table saw

Proxxonr OZI/E delta sander

Ruler or tape measure

pencil

wood glue  (fast setting is best here)

1/4" plywood

wood clamps

Ok, to get started, I first needed to know the dimensions of my drawer, using tape measure or ruler measure your drawer.  Height, inside width, and length.    Remember this drawer will need to open and shut.


I needed 4 dividers for my size drawer considering the sizes of the different spices.  I figured 9-10 spices per level, so this thing is going to hold up to quit a few spice jars.  

I cut my pieces to size using the Proxxon mini table saw.  I need   (4)  19' x 3" pieces for the "backrests", and (4)  19" x  2' for the risers.  This will work well for a drawer that is at least 4" deep.





Next, they need to be sanded so that there is no rough or splintery edges.   The Proxxon OZI/E delta sander makes this a breeze.  


Next, I used 10-minute glue to glue up the pieces.  I simply glued one of the bigger pieces to the edge of one of the smaller pieces then clamped it while it set.  The angle was approx. 90 degrees.

I checked he fit in the drawer, Looks good    Iwas going to glue them together but really no need. 




Let's see how the spices fit.  

That's a wrap.   I think it will certainly help with the spices even though the larger bottles and cans still need to be stored somewhere.  Amazing how they multiply.    

Thanks for visiting.  Hope you can give it a try.  It was super simple   I have some more ideas for the kitchen and elsewhere.  Someday... I just might be able to find whatever it is I am looking for.  😝

Thanks Proxxon,  love your tools.




1 comment:

Nell said...

What a great idea. We all could use some organizing.