Thursday, December 1, 2022

How to make a little wooden Christmas deer

 Hi folks,  I know you have all seen them, and they come in multiple shapes and sizes, but I am going to give you step by step instructions on how to easily make them.  Make one,or make a dozen.   You guessed it we are going to make that cute little stand-up deer.

                     

Equipment and Supplies
Piece of thin wood large enough to cut all your pattern pieces.  1/8" to 1/2" thick
tape, pencil, carbon paper
wood sealer lacquer, varnish or paint.

Ok, let's get started on this quick, easy, kid friendly, project.

I will tell you how I did it.

1.  First thing I did was to make myself a pattern.  Simply draw a deer the size you want on paper.
The legs and antlers will go on east to west and the body will be north to south.   In other words look how it is put together.  You need little slits to slide the legs into and the antlers on.   See my drawing and you will get the picture.
  

2.  Next I transferred my pattern onto the wood I chose.  **just a note watch which way the wood grain runs and try to have the skinny legs run with the grain.   Some woods\, especially cedar will come apart at the wood grain when you cut across them on small pieces**

I used carbon paper to transfer my pattern.




3.  I used the Proxxon mini scroll saw to cut out my patterns.



4.  I sanded everything using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   Love that tool.  It gets into places other sanders couldn't.





5.  Finish them off with sealer, paint, or varnish 
and they are almost done.

6.  Slip the legs into the slots.   Slip the antlers on, and they are done.  So easy you can make a dozen.  And....you can make them any size, simply draw the pattern bigger or smaller.

Here is one in cedarandaand this one is an oak veneer.  

Well, that is it.   It was fun and very quick.  I hope you enjoyed it.  It's not original but it was my drawing.    Be safe and come back.  Thanks for visiting.   Thanks, Proxxon, great company!  

till next time.......Carol

No comments: