Saturday, February 3, 2024

How to make a fishing pole rack

       Hi everyone.  Hope your winter is going well.  Groundhog says an early spring and I'm all for it!  I'm ready.  Speaking of spring.  I like to go fishing when the weather is nice, but I hate storing the fishing poles.  Seems they are always getting tangled or falling over or just generally getting in my way in the workshop.  So today when I got them down out of the rafters, I made a little fishing rack with the intentions of keeping them tangle free and ready to go at a moment's notice.  I of course used my Proxxon tools, I find the smaller tools are so convenient to use for these quick projects.


 I used some wood pieces I found in my shop so my measurements might seem arbitrary, probably because they are. 😁 Feel free to shrink or enlarge your project according to your needs. 

Here are the measurements I used.  Enlarge the picture above to read it.

 I used the Proxxon mini table saw to cut all my pieces,  



Then, I used my Proxxon mini scroll saw to cut out the keyholes in the top piece.  My rack will hold 6 poles so I cut 6 keyholes.



I spaced the center of the keyholes 2 1/2 inches apart.




I always use my Proxxon O/ZIE delta sander to smooth all the edges after each cut. Splinters are never wanted.


To prepare the bottom to hold the butt of the fishing rod, I used a drill with a Forstner 1- 1/4 bit to make 1/4" deep holes spaced at center 2-1/4 inches apart.  This just keeps the poles from sliding around on the rack.



Next, I fastened the 3 supports to the side pieces, One at the top, one at the bottom/ and the third in the middle.  I glued and clamped them in place then added screws to strengthen it.  I used the Proxxon rotary tool with a small drill bit to predrill all my holes prior to adding the screws to avoid splitting the wood.



When the glue was dry, I added the top and bottom pieces aligning them perpendicular to the brace pieces; Again, I glued, clamped, and then when it was good and dry I predrilled mu screw holes prior to adding strengthening screws.  


                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               I added the 2 small pieces to the top piece and fastened them down with wing nuts.  They can be loosened to release the poles.                                                                                                                                                       
 I put it all together and hung it temporarily on the wall.  It works great.  I'm going to take it down and paint it, then it will be finished, and I can add my other poles to this collection. 

]\

Proxxon tools made this project super easy.

Now I'm ready for fishing season and won't have to untangle everything first.
I enjoyed this project.  Hope you give it a try too.
Catch you next time   Carol W






00

No comments: