Friday, September 14, 2018

How to make an Announcing Fall Season Sign


           How to Make a Sign Announcing Fall

(or anything for that matter)









Tools
proxxon OZI/E Delta Sander
proxxon rotary tool
(This tool was used with a small drill bit)
Pliers



Supplies
Plywood for the letters. 
Small eye hooks (8)
Cup Hook (1)
Small Chain Links (5)
Krylon Crystal Clear Spray

For those of you who know me or visit my blog you many have gotten the impression
that I really am drawn to items that can be used for several things not just one.
While the Fall sign is a single use item it could be designed to say anything.


The first thing I did was to draw my letters onto the plywood.  It is hard to see here but that is an L.   I will need 2 of those for "fall".


I used the proxxon mini band saw to cut them out.  Then sanded each one with the proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Time to paint and make pretty.
I used a sea sponge and several different Plaid paints colors of yellow and brown as my background   I added acorns and a cute little scarecrow.  Here is where your imagination kicks in.  Do it your way!  Plaid paints come in so many colors and textures.

Putting it together.   I used pieces of chain and eye hooks to link the letters.  I used the Proxxon rotary tool with a small drill bit to make my starter holes.  Then I just twisted them in.   I used pliers to split the chain link to attach it to the eye hooks so that I could attach F to A, etc.










Attach the cup hook to the top so you can hang it from a nail anywhere.
All done
You could do welcome just as easy. Or make letters smaller and make a sign for a child's room.
Snow, Spring, Garden. Let your imagination go free.


 

 
Since I have had so many medical problems Carol has been the wind beneath my wing. lol could not
have gotten these blogs done without her. Now it looks like we may have another round before this battle is won. I am so blessed to have such a good friend by my side.
Want to also thank proxxon tools for their support for over a year. They have been steady and generous. Plaid Paints is also a steady supported and I love getting the new products to tryout. Also love the older paints they are wonderful craft paints. Kapro Measurements . I saw a beam finder that looks great it finds beams, pipes,cords someone who builds would really find this a nice addition to their tool pouch. I enjoy the two measuring device's I own.  





 




9 comments:

Carol Wulf said...

Love how that turned out. I'd be proud to hang that outside announcing my favorite season. The little scarecrow boy is so cute! You paint really well. Nice job!

Barbara Moore said...

That’s a very pretty sign Misty. You are so right about the versatility of using wooden letters for many different things. I really like your tutorial.

Misty said...

Thank you Barbara. Over a life time we collect
so many things. I feel if I can make a thing
do more for than one thing it might helps keep
down the pilling up of stuff.
Sounds like Terri is having a blast. I am glad
she earns it. Thank care and enjoy life.

Nell said...

This is such a cute idea and I love the way you painted and decorated it. Love it !

Unknown said...

Love how this turned out really like the pattern

Terry B said...

I love this piece.Your projects are also so fun. The workmanship is excellent. The talent to not only put these wonderful pieces together but to come up with so many great ideas. I am honored to say that I have this beautiful Fall hanging on my front porch. I will cherish it always I can not begin to say Thank You enough Misty, for giving me this hanging.

Misty said...

I love giving these projects to friends
I think would like them. In fact most go to fans.
I am honored that you have it and it brought a
smile to your face.
Hugs and Love

Anonymous said...

thanks for all the great ideas that you and Carol have given us looking forward for your next idea

Terry B said...

Again, thank you so much. Much love and hugs to you also Misty and Carol!
You both have great ideas and do fantastic projects!