Saturday, September 22, 2018

How to make a Knick Knack box


It's always a challenge for me to come up with something new whenever I'm creating for this blog. Sometimes the ideas come to me while I'm sleeping and other times, just looking at pictures or pinterest gives me ideas. This project was one of the "I just dreamed it up" ideas.

Supplies needed for this project: 

1/4" Birch wood sheet, 1'x2'
3/4" Decorative Block 4" Square
3/4"x 4" Square plain block of wood
Wooden Knob (for top of lid)
Carpenters' wood glue



First you need to cut four, 4 1/4" squares from the birch wood sheet to use for the sides around the  
one plain piece of wood which is 4" square and 3/4" thick to form a box. 


Glue all of the joints together with the carpenter's wood glue.


Now you need to cut a 4" Square and a 5" Square from the birch wood sheet. Sandwich those two pieces together to form the lid the smaller piece will fit into the box to keep the lid from sliding off.  Make sure that the smaller piece is centered on the larger block. Once that is completed you need to glue the decorative 4" Square block to the other side, glue the wooden knob in the center of the decorative block. 


Use your Proxxon Delta Sander and your Proxxon Belt Sander to smooth out any edges that might need it.


Once the glue is dry you can then finish the box off in whatever manner you desire.  I used some Plaid Chalk Paint and some stamps that I had to finish mine off. I tried to give the box a shabby chic look by sanding the outside in places after I applied two colors of Plaid Chalk Paint and just used a regular black ink pad to stamp with.



What do you think? My future daughter-in-law said that she would like to have it. Hmmm, thoughts of Christmas stockings?
You really need these Proxxon Tools to do a really good job on your wood working projects. They are "Tiny Tools with Character" and are easily handled. Check out their catalog  at www.proxxon.com and check out Plaid's at www.plaidonline.com. I think you'll be happy that you did.

Barbara

2 comments:

Misty said...

Really neat project Barbara. I seem drawn to
little containers have them everywhere. lol
This is a really nice one and I can see the
lid would fit tight, just right.
As ever great instructions.

Anonymous said...

Hey that is cool! I bet Silas would like to put his treasures in it. Marsha