Thursday, March 4, 2021

St Patrick's day shelf sitter

 March...Time for St Patrick's day.   I love that nearly all months the have something to celebrate.  Today let's make a cute little shelf sitter to welcome in the festive time of leprechauns, shamrocks, rainbows, green beer, and friends.   This  blog is going to feature the Proxxon long neck angle grinder.  That is a powerhouse tool to be sure, and I had a good time working with it.   I think it is going to be a go-to tool in my workshop from now on.  Mine in the corded version but I hear they make a cordless rechargeable one now.  Wish list?      Christmas is coming ya know.     

 


I used a piece of 3/4" pine board for the majority of this project.

Tools and Supplies
3/4" pine board at least 4" wide
thin piece of wood for sign
wood glue
Plaid paints of your choosing
glitter spray or sealer 
small screws  (optional)  for reinforcing glued joints.

Let's start with a plan:

this is a full size plan if printed onto regular paper






I copied the plan onto my wood and cut it out all the pieces except the hands  using the Proxxon mini band saw.



Using the long neck angle grinder I made some texture in my little man.  This will stand out when we paint it.  

I left the hands on the longer piece of wood when I used the grinder on them.  the grinder is powerful and I didn't want it that close to my hands.  Where the fingers are I used to grinder to form a groove so that it will sit on his little sign and look like he is holding it.  After I was done with the groove I cut them out on the proxxon mini scroll saw.




I tapered his shoes with the long neck angle grinder so they looked pointy.    I shaped his pipe using the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander.   And I surfaced his little plaque with the angle grinder as well.


Time to put it all together

The body sits on top of the bottom  and is secured with glue and 2 screws.  The legs are attached to the front of his bottom piece and the shoes  are attached to the bottom of his legs.  The hands are glued to the top of the plaque, made to look like he is holding it up.   I drilled a small hole in the corner of his mouth and glued the pipe in.   


Now paint!   Plaid makes beautiful colors, and so many to choose from.   I suggest you paint before you place the plaque, just to make it easier.   Finish it off with some spray sealer or glitter, or..... whatever you like.     On your plaque write your favorite Irish saying.   I love this one.  

May the roof above you never fall in
and may your friends below it, never fall out. 

I'm going to set him above my front door.   


Thanks for visiting!!!   
Thanks Proxxon and Plaid!!    

Catch ya next time   Carol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carol that is a great idea and the colors couldnt be a better keep the great color come our way bj

Misty said...

Better late than never. I have
a soft spot for Leprechaun.
This one is tooo cute.
Thanks for sharing the
instructions.