Thursday, August 5, 2021

How to make a handy paintbrush holder

 Hi everyone,   This is for the artists and makers out there.  It is an easy but useful project.   Let's make a paintbrush holder.  Ive seen these in plastic, but I think we can do better.   I know we can because we have the tools, thank you Proxxon, for the job.  


I am going to start with a short piece of 1/2" by 4" piece of cedar board, left over from another project.

When I measure it out it is about 8" long, this will work well for what I have in mind.  First thing to do is to cut it in half.   I use the Proxxon mini bandsaw to do this.  



Square is ok, but I want to fancy it up a little bit, so I cut off the corner to make an octagon shape.

The Proxxon mini bandsaw makes that a simple and easy task.


I next used the Proxxon disk sander to smooth the edges.  Note- make sure the second piece keeps the shape of the first piece.




Now draw some dots where you want to drill your holes for the paintbrushes.  I plan on some holes being bigger to hold my bigger brushes.











Stack the two pieces together and tape them or use nails to keep them together.  (If you use nails make sure to put them where you will be drilling a hole for a paintbrush.)  Don't want any stay holes  Then using the Proxxon mini drill press make pilot holes through the top layer to just deep enough to mark the bottom layer.  






Separate the 2 pieces.
Using standard size drill bits drill holes where you want them in the size to suit your needs all the way through the top piece.  
On the bottom piece, use a large drill bit to make a small dip into the wood.  this will keep the paintbrush from sliding around. 


 
Use the Proxxon OZI/E delta sander to make everything smooth and pretty.   I started with 80 grit to remove my markings then moved on the 240 grit to smooth everything out.  


Drill 4   5/8" holes half way through the bottom of the top piece and the opposing top of the bottom piece.    Cut 4 4" pieces of dowel rod. and inset these into those drilled spots.   If it fits well, then add some glue and allow it to dry well





The only thing left is to apply a sealing finish to the wood.  I love how cedar looks when finished.   That is all there is to it.  This makes a nice little gift to give to your artist friends.   I think I will make a few for the girls in my art class, for Christmas.    Trying to get a head start this year.   I will wood burn their names in it to make it personal.   Yup, that will work. 



Hope you had fun, I did!   I always do when working in my wood shop with my Proxxon tools.   
Thanks for visiting.   Will catch you next time.    Carol.

No comments: