Thursday, August 19, 2021

Weiner dog bobbin holder

 All right, I think I have said this before, but I have recently taken up a new hobby...Sewing... but just like every other hobby it comes with so much equipment and supplies, I wish I had a dedicated room for it, but I don't so I am enjoying making what I can to try and keep it a little organized.   Today we are going to make a simple, no, super simple, bobbin holder, but not for me.  This is for a young lady just learning to sew like me, and she is going to help me make it.  

  

We are going to start out with some pieces of scrap wood and a small wooden ball that I had on hand.




We used the Proxxon professional rotary tool to make a hole in one side of the wood piece where we will put a small dowel to mount the head.   We also put the same size hole in the round piece of wood. and glued it in place.  Now we will stick the remaining dowel part into the body of the "dog to be" to see if it works.  It' ok, but  we won't glue it yet.


Using the Proxxon mini band saw, I rounded off the corners a little bit on all 4 sides




We am going to use the Proxxon mini drill press to make lots of holes all over the "doggy's" back   Then I am going to use the Proxxon mini bandsaw to cut lengths of dowels that will fit into these holes.   This is where she will stack her bobbins.  Looks more like a porcupine.  




You can see we have added a small nose.  Wewill also cut out some simple ears.  This is best done on the Proxxon mini scroll saw.  We can attach these with small nails so they can be positioned in different ways.




Got the kid to paint it.  Look, she has added some pony beads as well as the bobbins.   Good for her.   You go girl, make it your own.  

She says she has a space for this on a shelf next to her sewing machine.   I am glad she likes it.  We had fun making it.
  
Important note.  Never leave youngsters alone with woodworking tools.  Close supervision is absolutely mandatory, and some tools, like the bandsaw should not be operated at all by children.  But do get them involved in safe ways.   They love it.

Well, thanks for visiting.  Hope you enjoyed the project.   Looking forward to seeing you next time.
Thank you Proxxon, love love love your tools.

Take care and play safe!   Carol






No comments: