Saturday, September 2, 2023

How to make a little bird feeder

 Hi folks !!  Time for another new project.  I'm thinking spring.  Why dont we  make a simple little birdfeede that will keep them coming back.  I love to watch the birds, dont you?     what I found appealing in this project was that every piece was scraps.



Let's get started.   Keep in mind this will be made with your scraps so your measurements might be different than mine.   But I will give you mine as an example.

I found 2 square pieces of 3/4" pine measuring 7.5 x 7.5   This will do for our roof and the middle piece.

My little feeder boxes are 3.5 x 4 x 1.5"  I will cut my scraps to size on my Proxxon mini table saw.

Additionally, I will need 4 small cup hooks and about a dozen small nails, and some leather  lacing.  .I will use my Proxxon cordless rotarty tool a small drill bit and my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander and, of course, paints by Plaid.  

Ok, so I made a line diagonally across the board I am going to use as my roof,  Then I laid a line of glue down and placed my second board vertically on it and let it dry.  I reinforced it later with some small nails  



Setting that aside I moved on to make my small feeder trays.  I cut 4 identical pieces approximately 1.5 x 4" to be the long sides of my little boxes and 4 similar pieces but only measuring 3.5 " in length.  My bottom pieces measured 4" square   I cut them on my Proxxon mini table saw then glued them together to form the two feeder trays. ( In the picture below the hammer is just a weight while the glue dries the bottom to the sides) When the glue dried, I reinforced all the junctions with small nails after drilling my pilot holes with my Proxxon cordless rotary tool.




Now I have 2 little trays.  Of course, I sanded everything well using my Proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Next, I put small cup holder hooks on two sides of the trays and on the ceiling part of the roof so I can hang the little trays.  I made loops in my leather hangers.  



Now find someone to paint it.   Hello kiddies next door.  👀  Then hang it and let the birds enjoy it. 

🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐦🐧


It's been fun.  I love spring!  Catch ya next time.  Carol


No comments: