Sunday, September 3, 2017

How To Make a Custom Picture Frame

In addition to making projects with my Proxxon tools, I'm also a bobbin lace maker. I specialize in Withof lace, and many of the pieces that I make are small. Now I can use my Proxxon tools to make a custom picture frame that is perfect for my lace pieces. This 4½" square frame has a 2¾" square opening.

Equipment and Supplies to Make a Custom Picture Frame

Calculating the Length of the Moulding 

  1. Decide the dimensions of your frame. In this case I wanted a 4½" square frame.
  2. Add the length of the four sides together: 4½+4½+4½+4½ = 18
  3. Multiply the width of the moulding my 8. My moulding is 1" wide. 8x1 = 8
  4. Add this to the total of the four sides: 18 + 8 = 26
  5. Add an inch or two to allow breathing room in the recess so the picture doesn't fit too tightly, and to allow for the thickness of the blade as it cuts. 26 + 2 = 28"

Instructions for Making a Custom Picture Frame

  1. Set the angle on the miter saw to 45°.
  2. Firmly clamp the frame moulding in the miter saw, and make the cut.
  3. Set the saw stop for the desired length.
  4. Move the miter saw table to the opposite 45°, and make the second cut.
  5. Repeat for the other three sides of the frame.
  6. If necessary, sand your frame pieces, then finish them. I polished mine with Johnson's Paste Wax. Here you can see the difference between the top three unpolished sides and the bottom, polished one.
  7. Using wood glue, glue each of the corners together. Since I don't have framing clamps, I held the four sides together while the glue dried with painter's tape. All the sides were laid in a straight line, with a length of painter's tape along the outer edge. I painted glue on each cut surface, then "closed" the frame. 
Enjoy your custom frame!!

Carole

3 comments:

Misty said...

Carole this is really good and if you have a chop saw it makes it easier. I see you have the Proxxon saw and it worked like a charm. Excellent work. With all the art I do I could use one of these. Trouble is I can use almost every tiny tool Proxxon makes
lol. Have a great weekend.

full car wrap said...

It’s very informative and you are obviously very knowledgeable in this area. You have opened my eyes to varying views on this topic with interesting and solid content. picture frame moulding

Barbara Moore said...

Love the frame as well as your lace Carole! Great job and tutorial. The paste wax also makes a great difference after using on the frame.