Friday, July 17, 2020

How to make a custom picture frame

Hi guys,  I got a new little tool I have been dying to try out and show you.   Its the Proxxon mini chop/miter saw.   I have tried every tool in the book, (minus a chop saw), to make decent mitered corners, but no matter how careful I am, it seems impossible.  In fact I consistently have to revert back to other joints just to save my sanity.   Well now... with this new little mini chop saw by Proxxon,  I must say, and without boasting, I can make the most perfect miter corners!   Ok, now that brings to mind picture frames for me.   I have taken art classes and have had to buy custom frames because, caught in the creative moment, I never paid attention to making my creations standard size.  Well, that took a bite out of my pocket change. But NOW, I can frame any size really.    In the following I am going to show you my learning process on this new tool.  There were a few snags, but I was able to conquer them.   And now I know what is easily doable and what is doable with a little more effort.  Follow along with me.
 My picture prior to framing was 14 1/2"  x 10 1/2"



Supplies

5-6' of baseboard material ( your size may vary according to picture size)
plexiglass large enough to cover your picture.
wood glue 
corner supports (4)
small wood screws  3/8"  to 1/2"
Stain, paint, or whatever 
picture hanger of your choice

Equipment

Proxxon mini drill press   (optional)
wood clamps
Square or corner clamps

The first thing to do is to measure your picture.
  I then made the same measurements on my baseboard, this is going to be the short side of the miter on each side  Measure the red side and set the miter gauge to 45 degrees.



    This is when I discovered that this saw really is made for small cuts.  The clamp opens only to 1 3/4".   Ok, I can deal with that so it is off to the Proxxon mini table saw to cut my baseboard a wee bit narrower.   I saved the strips I cut off.   I have plans for these later.



Now back to the the Proxxon mini chop saw.  

OOPs, although it cut a beautiful miter angle, it did not cut the entire length.   This is my fault, (getting anxious and not reading my instruction booklet),  but we can fix it easy.

I took the partially cut pieces to the proxxon mini bandsaw and using the miter gauge there I followed the saw kerf to finish the 45 degree angled cut.


 yay, check it out.   

Now I have the pieces for the outside of the frame and the miter corners fit perfect!  Yay Proxxon mini chop saw!!!

Sand everything with the proxxon OZI/E delta sander.

Next step I glued the corners using a square to keep them square.  We will reinforce the joints later.

Then I take the  little strips I cut from the baseboard earlier to the Proxxon mini chop saw and cut  them at 45 degree angles on the Proxxon mini chop/miter saw so they would fit perfectly inside my larger frame.  

I used an orange gourd stain to color my inside frame piece hoping this will bring out the colors of my sunset.  (This is your time to be creative and paint or stain however you like.)  
  
Now  I'm going to glue these in so they sit about 1/4" higher that the outside frame.  This creates some depth and interest in the frame and 😄 it is giving me a ledge on the backside of the frame where my picture and plexiglass will rest.  I glue it, clamp it, and leave it to dry.  


To reinforce the frame I add corner braces to each corner.

Then I measured the plexiglass to the exact size to fit the ledges I made on the backside of the frame, and used masking tape to make my marks.  I used the proxxon mini scroll saw to do the cutting.   I turned the speed down slow so as not to melt the plexiglass.  I love the adjustable speed control!

Time to flip the frame and fill it up.   I remove the protective film from the plexiglass and lay it on the ledges.  Next comes my picture which I lay on the plexiglass.   I add a piece of cardboard on top of that to hold the picture tight.
Now I need to make something to hold the "sandwich" together.  



I took some scraps of my plexiglass and cut them into rectangles measuring approx 3/4" by 3".  Then I drilled a small hole at each end using the proxxon mini drill press.   I lay these pieces diagonally across my corners and use small screws to secure it all.




Add a picture hanger of your choice, then hang your picture.  

Wow, start to finish, picture and frame,  it is all yours!  Now you can make any size picture then frame it yourself.   Feeling inspired, I went to "the store" and looked at all the trim and baseboard materials they have.  I am going to make some really fancy frames!    I learned a lot with this project.  Can't wait to go at it again.

I want to thank you all for visiting.  I love sharing with you.   I also want to thank Proxxon tools for making the tools that make making fun and easy.  These are small and unscary tools, made for the creative crafter in all of us.    Come back soon and we will make something new.   Carol

2 comments:

Misty said...

Sorry so late but yesterday I
tried to leave a comment but
after I did, I got dropped off.
Anyhow I love your original
painting and the frame you made is perfect and set the painting off
perfectly. Good work

Nell said...

Great picture frame and I love the picture you put in it.