Thursday, August 20, 2020

How To Make A Wood Carving Using Proxxon Tools And Plaid Paint

 


Hi friends. Today I'm gonna show you how todo some simple woodcarving using Proxxon tools. I made this Moby Dick. This is part one of two blogs I'm doing for this project. You'll see how I made what you see in this picture today and next month you'll see how I added to it. Follow along with me and I'll show you how I did it.

Materials:

Proxxon Micro Band Saw

Proxxon Delta Sander

Proxxon Longneck Angle Grinder

Proxxon Power Carver

Scrap 3/4" pine boards

Round Wooden Toothpicks

Brad Nailer and Brads

    Draw the whale pattern out on scrap pine. Body is in two pieces. Cut out with the Band Saw.                                                                                                


.


You'll only be working with the bottom or mouth piece of the whale for now. Drill holes around the inside and break off the tiny tip from the toothpicks and insert using wood glue. Also hollow out in the center using the Power Carver.




Now with the teeth all inserted you can glue the mouth to the whale body. Let dry then sand.



Next cut out the water and waves from scrap pine. You'll need two long pieces and two short pieces for the ends. You'll be making a sort of frame for the whale to sit in. The whale must have room to move so leave a little space on either side of the body. This will be important in phase 2. Nail together with brads.

Next using the Power Carver I ground out the sides of the waves. I set the whale in temporarily to make sure it fit.



Using Plaid paint I painted all sides of the water. I used a dark blue and green.


After the paint dried I dry brushed a little white on to highlight the waves. I then used some clear and antique wax over it and let dry. I cut a base out and painted and waxed it the same way.



Next I painted the whale a cream color and let dry. I painted the whales eyes then dry brushed a little antiquing wax around the edges to give it depth. I put the whale in the base loose. It can stay like this as a display piece but I think you'll be excited to see what this becomes in phase two :).  Thanks for following along with me. See you next month... Colleen