Thursday, August 13, 2020

How to make a Halloween Pumpkin


 Oh it is hot!   Dog days of summer are upon us.  You know what that means...fall is coming and so is Halloween!!!     I know it's a bit early but with crafting we have to start early.  Today we are going to make a pumpkin.   I was going to say "little pumpkin", but you can make it as big or as little as you want.



Supplies and Equipment/

Wood of your choosing (enough to cut out 8-12  pumpkin ribs) plus 2 circles.   (I used 1/4" birch plywood because mine was going to be a small centerpiece)

Yard scrap (for pumpkin stem)

Wood glue

wood clamps or clothespins if small.

Proxxon mini bandsaw with scroll saw blade or Proxxon mini scroll saw.

Proxxon OZI/E delta sander

Plaid paints and or other embellishments

pencil and tracing paper.


Here is the pattern I started with.  I fit 2 ribs in a small square.   I will need to repeat this pattern 4 or more times to make 8 - 12 ribs.   cut 2 circles in proportion to your rib pieces.


I traced my pattern onto my wood piece then proceeded to cut them out.   I am using the Proxxon mini band saw in the picture below.   It cuts the tightest curves.  I am impressed.  This is the first time I have used this saw blade.   WOW!



I got all my pieces cut, and then I sand them using the Proxxon OZIE delta sander.  I love how it gets into all the curves.  It has adjustable speeds too.   If your cutting is not perfect don't worry.  Pumpkins are very forgiving.


Next comes the part that is a little bit tricky.  If I can do it, you can, it takes just a little bit of patience.   We are going to glue it all together.   Use enough glue.   Let it get just a little bit sticky before you position your piece so it will stick some.    I used clothes pins to hold mine.  

Glue the bottom of the "ribs" to underneath the circle piece  as in the picture below.   Let this dry.   (Note- the tops of the "ribs" are lining up)    I did this 2 at a time and let dry in between.  (takes some finger dexterity)




I glued the second circle to the underside of  the top of the pumpkin.
Then I painted the pumpkin using Plaid paints.  I got my stem ready to go when the paint dries.



All done.   I painted a little egg to sit on the circle.   If I had made my pumpkin a little bigger I would place a candle on the stand.   I plan to make one about 12"-14" tall to sit on the porch this year.

Thanks for visiting.   Thank you Proxxon tools and Plaid paints.   I work with the best!

Catch ya next time.   Take care, and please be safe!!!   Carol



2 comments:

Misty said...

Good Work!
Neat idea for a holiday
gift for a child or neighbor.
I am assuming you could make
a larger one if desired.
Nice clear directions and
you did a good job.

Nell said...

Wow, this is really a great project. You always come up with something different.