Thursday, October 1, 2020

How to carve a gourd pumpkin

Halloween is almost here and it is time to start thinking pumpkins, carving pumpkins and jack-o'-lanterns ðŸŽƒðŸŽƒðŸŽƒðŸŽƒ   I love pumpkins, and I enjoy carving them, but it's a little sad when the pumpkin begins to shrivel up after just a few weeks.   This year I am going to bring out a few of my smaller gourds and show you how easy it is to carve them using Proxxon tools.   And these "pumpkins" will last forever.  





Equipment and supplies

Small pumpkin shaped gourds

Proxxon mini jigsaw

Proxxon rotary tool with small drill bit or a sharp awl.

Plaid paints

sealer of your choice

2 small hinges + one small latch

super glue and small screwdriver

velcro dots

1 battery powered candle light.


Let's get started.   First we need to choose a gourd   Warning gourds start out dirty!  But they are easy to clean using steel wool and water.





Now we are going to cut him open.   It is always a surprise to find out what is inside.

We need a small hole in order to insert our jigsaw blade.   If you have a Proxxon rotary tool this is perfect for drilling the small hole.   If you don't you may punch a hole using a sharp awl.


Using the Proxxon mini jigsaw I cut out the bottom of the gourd.  Notte that I made a zig-zag in my cut.   This is to make it easy to put back together properly.   Also it is important to make a straight edge where we are going to attach the hinges later.    OK let's open her up.  


Lucky me, it is dry and easy to remove.   Now my pumpkin is hollow.

Now to design a jack-o'-lantern.   I drew a simple face.   You can be more creative!





I cut it out using the Proxxon mini jigsaw.  It was a breeze!

Optional step:
Using the proxxon rotary tool with the bull nose rasp cutter I added some hair and a label on the back.



Ok back to our original plan.   We are going to add hinges to the bottom of our gourd and a latch to keep it shut.    I used glue to first affix the hinges then added very small screws.   I did the latch in the same way.





For candlelight I put velcro on the inside of the bottom of the gourd and the other side to the bottom of my battery powered candle.  That way I can open the bottom of the gourd, stick the candle on the velcro and shut the gourd.   I used some watered down plaid paints to give my pumpkin his orangey color.    And we are done.  



😀😀😀My candle changes color.  😀😀😀


Thanks for visiting.   I hope you have a happy and safe halloween.    
Thank you Proxxon and Plaid.

Check out these fine products.   Just click on the links above.   
Have fun!   catch you next time  Carol



No comments: