Thursday, January 20, 2022

How to build an "illusion" plant or anything stand

 Hi, It's me again.  I got an easy project for ya today.  We are going to make a plant or anything stand that looks miraculous and impossible (unless you look too close).  It's fun to sit it on a shelf somewhere out of reach of the little kiddies and wait for the comments of surprised people.



This is an easy project and highlights the use of the Proxxon mini chop saw.  This is a fairly new addition to my collection and I love it.  Perfect for cutting small wood pieces for construction.  You can count on getting the straight and miter cuts that you need for projects to go together smoothly.  Check it out at Proxxon.com. 


Supplies and Equipment needed
wood glue
fishing line
small screws
patience 😉
wood pieces


I started with some  1 x 2 pieces of pine.  I think it is called furring strips.   I used the Proxxon Mini table saw to cut them down to 1 x 1" long slats.  I will use these to make my pieces.  

Check out my drawing with measurements below.   This is one half of the "illusion"  You need to make 2 of these so the cutting list will be as follows.



 1" x 1" x 8"   (will need 4 of these)

 1 x 1 x 6 n  (2)

1 x 1 x 4   (4)

1 x 1 x 1 (4)


Using wood glue I first put the pieces that are on the same plane together then let them dry real well.

 

Next using the Proxxon mini drill press I predrilled some holes where I will insert screws for strength.


I then fastened the top piece using glue and screws and let it dry well.

  

Now comes the tricky part.  Add small screws as per the picture below then use fine fishing line attached as shown.  It took me a little while.  (clumsy fingers), but if I can do it, you can too.\


 Put a small shelf across the top two pieces and add a plant, or statue or ???   and amaze your friends.

From a small distance the fishing line cannot be seen and it appears the shelf is floating......ooooh.


Thank you all for visiting.   Try this cute little, easy peasy project, it's fun and a conversation piece.
Thank you Proxxon.  You make good tools so the making stuff is easy and fun.
till next time... be safe   Carol


No comments: